Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Back on the "Dread"mill....

Two days in a row. Between the rain and my schedule I have hit the gym on the treadmill. But the upside to that is that the heat in the gym will acclimate me (hopefully) to running in Florida...which I will be doing in a few weeks! YIKES!

Yesterday was a little easier. I had a new issue of Runner's World so I had it covering the monitor. I didn't read any of the magazine, just used it as a shield and glanced down at it. It made the run go a little faster, and I had 2 miles down before I started looking at the time and mileage. About mile 3 I started getting a little tired, so I slowed my pace down a little. It didn't last long before I felt the second wind kick in and soon I was able to bump that pace back on up! I finished of the run hard thanks to a few instant messages of encouragement from my husband!

I had a horrible headache today, and was not feeling so great emotionally, but I knew that I would feel a lot better if I got my butt to the gym. I was right. I wanted to do only 3 miles, but since I put in 5 miles as my goal there was no way I was going to do anything less. So I sent Eric a message telling him I needed encouragement. And sure enough he delivered. The best one I got was, "Imagine CB at the finish line cheering you on." and then "of course I will be there with her!" How could I NOT keep going? It felt good to finish my goal.

The treadmill is not my favorite thing to run on. I would much rather be on the pavement, but I am taking the miles where I can get them. And when I think that I can't do it, or I don't want to....I just think of my honorary team mates. They didn't have a choice to fight cancer, and they never gave up. So how can I? Talk about true inspiration.

No comments: