Sunday, January 3, 2010

First Run Results

My official results from the First Run are in! Needless to say, I was a little disappointed. I was proud of myself for doing the run, but I was upset that I was not in great health and able to run the entire thing. Our entire family has been battling colds and fevers on and off for a few weeks now. Last week Eric had no voice and a horrible cough. I had a fever the previous weekend, and a sore throat on Thursday. Well I think my fever was coming back on the day of the run. I still wanted to run though, so I toughed it out. For the run I chose to wear a long sleeve water-resistant fleece with a tank top under it, some running shorts, my running gloves and the microfiber headband (mainly to keep my super short hair out of my face!) According to Eric, we started the race pretty fast and strong. About mile 1 though I could not get my fleece off fast enough! (It is not easy removing clothing while running....especially when the clothing is semi-fitting). I felt warmer than I did running during the summer, in 90 degree weather. I finally got it off, as well as my gloves and headband (thanks Hon for holding them for me!) I made it just a little bit further before I had to start walking. Well that was a big mistake! For me, if I start walking, returning to a jog is very difficult. So I continued to off and on jog and walk. I was able to finish the last mile jogging though.

Eric was great! He could have taken off and gotten some good numbers, but he stayed with me. Which was good, considering how I was feeling. The cool thing was the last mile the weather had gone from no rain to a drizzle to downpour. I love running in the rain. It felt so good! And I never got cold. But I still wanted to finish the run with my number visible (which was on my fleece) so I had to then get my fleece on while running, on my wet arms!

So here are my results. Keep in mind I was walking about a third of this:
Chip time: 36:24
Pace: 11:43
Age Place: 68 out of 95
Overall Place: 688 out of 952

Well out of curiosity, I went back and looked at the other runs I had participated in this year. Despite walking, this run was the 2nd best pace, and the best 5K I have had this year. So I am improving. Here are the rest of the results from the year!

Shamrock Run 5K (March 15, 2009)
Chip Time: 38:51
Pace: 13:22

Pints to Pasta 10K (September 13, 2009)
Chip Time: 1:13:52
Pace: 11:53

Run Like Hell Portland 10K (October 25, 2009)
Chip Time: 1:10:26
Pace: 11:20

What a great year for me! I am so excited to see where I go this year :)

2 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Happy New Year! That is awesome that your hubby stayed with you, alas I am not that nice and left my hubby in the DUST on our 5K and it was his birthday and he was sick. Wow when I put it that way I sound MEAN.. But I took 2nd.. LOL!!

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

Congrats on your race!!