Sunday, April 11, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again

It is only noon, and so far it has been an amazing day. I woke up at 5:20 am to head into Portland to help out at the Team in Training aide station for the Race for the Roses half marathon. WOW! I now have a totally new appreciation for those wonderful people that pass you water, Gatorade, etc during a race. It is NOT easy! There were at least 15 of us that were handing water and glucose to runners/walkers of all ages. What a rush. I (stupidly) volunteered to be the first person people came to as they got to the station (I really tried not scaring them away). As the first runner came to mile 4 (where we were) about 20 mins. after the race started, I got nervous....what if they didn't want it, what if I spilled it on him, what if he spilled on me? Oh the horror! Thankfully, he accepted the cup graciously and without incident. In fact, I am not sure if I got more water on me from the runners or my coach that was pouring the water.

All of a sudden, there was a huge rush of people. I remember looking back thinking, wow there is a lot of water. Then there was none and we couldn't pour and distribute water fast enough! But runners I have found out are pretty nice, even when they are impatient.


But the best news is that after 10 days of resting, I ran again today! My butt muscle is still sore, but after running for about 10 minutes, that actually started to ease. We did a family run, so it started with E, CB, black dog and me at Lewisville Park. I haven't been there since fall, and I forgot how much I loved it. But after half a mile CB decided she "hated" running and wanted to go the play structure. So I hung back with her while E took off for a singleton run. We played hard and soon black dog and E returned and I got to go out. I didn't have my iPod, and didn't even notice the lack of music. It was so beautiful running along the river. I am trying to get my pace a little faster (shocker...I am super slow!) and was able to keep the pace below 11 min/miles for the 1.75 miles I did on my own. I am happy to be back to what I love, and I am addicted! What makes it even better is that it is an activity my entire family can enjoy together.

No comments: