Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

I must say that I am happy to see 2009 end. It was not an easy year for me, but I must say that I have definitely had quite a few changes. I never really make a New Years resolution. Why? Mostly for the sheer fact that I have the will power of a cheeto. So why set myself up for failure? Instead, I look back at the end of the year and look at what I was able to accomplish throughout the year. I will share a few with you....


                  January 2009

1. The most noticeable change this year has been that I have lost almost 40 pounds since last year! This has been great, and makes me feel amazing. On February 11, 2009 I started the Medifast program. I was on and off it for about 3 months, and over that time I lost about 25 pounds. It was a healthy way for me to get the weight off quickly, and I felt good while on it. And it helped to pull me out of the sugar spiral I was in. I started the year wearing a size 16, almost 18....and finished the year in a size 10! It is not easy, I am not good at accepting compliments and I still picture myself as I was at the beginning of the year. So I am finally beginning to go through my clothes and decided which ones are too big now and taking them to consignment shops or donating them. Running is now helping to get me in shape and give me some sexy legs!

2. I ran my second 5K, and survived! I ran the Shamrock Run 5K in Downtown Portland. It was the following week I found out I had problems with my back and was down and out for almost 12 weeks. But the bug was planted, and at the end of the Summer I ran the Pints to Pasta 10K. Then I ran the Run Like Hell 10K in October and The Turkey Trot at the Oregon Zoo, a four miler, in November. Last night I ran a 5K at midnight. I have also signed up for the Princess Half Marathon in Orlando this March. I have a new addiction, and I LOVE IT!!!!



Shamrock Run March 2009

 
Run Like Hell October 2009



                                    Turkey Trot- Oregon Zoo


 Running as a Family Turkey Trot 2009
 
                           Eric and I....First Run 5K December 31, 2009


3. I am raising a four year old.....enough said!



4. We adopted a third puppy from the Humane Society in February. Jethro Moss joined the family, even lthough we thought he was a St. Bernard mix and he was actually a boxer mix. His personality is wonderful, and we are still adjusting to having a puppy around, but he has been a blessing to us, although a very trying blessing:) He is not a great running partner yet, he still poops out around 1 mile....and there are a lot more interesting things to explore than to actually run. But chasing him down the road does give me some exercise!



 


5. I have learned more about myself, and what I can pull myself through than anyone will ever know. I learned that love is the most important thing in the world, and it will sometimes pull you through the most dark of times...even when you don't know that it is pulling you. Life is hard, and I am learning that the most important things in your life are generally worth the fight. Sometimes learning about yourself is hard, but the reward is so worth it! I have found that ADHD does not help me with "alone" time with my thoughts, and running gives me an outlet to think but keep me occupied at the same time. Running gives me health, energy and and outlet to let go. It has allowed Eric and I to do some fun things together (thank you to our "munchkin-sitters while we run!) It also allows me to be a role model for my daughter that is positive and healthy. There is nothing like hearing your lil' munchkin say, "I wanna run with mama".


July 2009- Eric and My 6 year Anniversary in Arizona
(We hiked 3 miles in 109 degree weather....and survived)






As I look forward to 2010, I can only imagine it being the best year yet. I have already ran 3.1 miles....so I can say it is off to a good start. I will say that I have goals for this year....
  • Run 500 miles through the year (or now 496.9 miles :) )
  • Get the finisher's medal for the Princess Half Marathon
  • Participate in the Disneyland Half Marathon in September (I would get another 2 medals if I do this!!!)
  • Continue to lose another 20 pounds, but more importantly become more healthy.
  • Look at the positive in things instead of the negative. Not an easy task, but much more healthy.
I hope everyone has a wonderful 2010.....I know I will!

No comments: